AsiaOne YourHealth.com.sg

S. Korean woman dies after eating live octopus

S. Korean woman dies after eating live octopus
Friday, Sep 13, 2013
AFP

SEOUL - Keen to try live octopus? You might want to think twice. A woman in South Korea stopped breathing after eating a live octopus, and died 16 days later in hospital.

The case came under media spotlight after her boyfriend - who had bought the octopus -  was subsequently convicted of murder in October and sentenced to life imprisonment by a court that cited, "compelling indirect evidence" that he suffocated Yoon for the insurance money.

The long-running case, fuelled by accusations of police incompetence, has received enormous media and public attention in South Korea.

The 32-year-old man, identified only as Mr. Kim, checked into a motel in Incheon City near Seoul with his girlfriend in April 2010 after buying two live octopuses from a local restaurant.

He later called reception to say his girlfriend, identified by her surname Yoon, had collapsed and stopped breathing after eating one of them. She was taken to hospital but died 16 days later.

Police initially saw the case as an accident and closed the file.

But they were forced to reopen the case five months later after a TV programme highlighted efforts by Yoon's father to have Kim investigated, after discovering his daughter had taken out a life insurance policy just before she died.

Top 12 dangerous foods that could kill you

Click on thumbnail to view. Story continues after photos.
(Photos: Various sources)

Next  Next  

Publication: 

Feedback

Rate this article
3
Average: 3 (2 votes)
Your rating: None