Liposuction death: 'Large dose' of surgery drugs given
The Straits Times
By Salma Khalik
SINGAPORE - A mother of two who died during a liposuction operation at a Chinatown clinic could have been given too much of the anaesthesia drugs, according to an expert doctor's statement given at a coroner's inquiry yesterday.
Associate Professor Ti Lian Kah, of the National University Health System (NUHS), said the doses given to Madam Mandy Yeong, 44, "were large for the patient, who weighed approximately 70kg".
He added that 20 minutes before her condition deteriorated, she received "a large dose of 100 micrograms, enough to cause patients to stop breathing".
Also, she was given 15mg of a sedative within a two-hour period when the recommended dose is "usually no more than 5mg".
Of a third drug, Prof Ti said she was given well above the toxic dose, which "can cause central nervous system and cardiovascular effects that may have contributed to her demise".
Madam Yeong, who had two teenage sons, went to TCS Clinic in Eu Tong Sen Street on June 28 last year for Dr Edward Foo to remove fat from her abdomen and to smooth out hollows in her thighs. The hollows were possibly caused by a previous liposuction.
She had been to the clinic for several treatments before, including liposuction, laser therapy and botox.
When her vital signs deteriorated, an ambulance was called, but she died at Singapore General Hospital without regaining consciousness.
The post-mortem report said she died of pulmonary fat embolism, which means fat globules had caused an obstruction in one of the blood vessels in her lungs.
Get your free access!